Feds' immigration-hold policy misguided

George Ga1,

George Gascón

September 11, 2013

In my 30 years in law enforcement, I have often witnessed the unintended consequences of well-meaning but poorly developed public safety policies. Few have had as profound an impact on our constitutional rights as the widespread use of immigration holds issued by Immigration and Customs Enforcement. What the federal government touts as a sound public safety practice is having a chilling effect on local law enforcement's effectiveness.

In 2010, Norma, an undocumented immigrant living in San Francisco, was held on an immigration hold in our local jail for days without due process. Norma, repeatedly abused by her partner, had been too fearful to call police. When she finally did, she was arrested along with her abuser, even though no charges were filed against her. While her deportation was eventually canceled, Norma recalls being "so scared not knowing what would happen to my 3-year-old child while I was in jail. I later discovered that I had an immigration hold, even though no one told me what was happening."
Immigration holds....
See the entire article at http://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/Feds-immigration-hold-policy-misguided-4803416.php?t=81bb8afb2906eebef0

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment